Monday, July 28, 2008

The Unending Bouquet of Summer

Another summer is racing by, no different from life itself really and we are already falling out of July. How could this be so? One of the hallmarks of our house are the roses planted by a previous owner. When we bought the place, none were blooming as the renters at that time had taken no notice of this array of beauties right under their noses. (Again, no different from things in general, eh?)

But now, each summer these roses and a symphony of other bloomers come out in a fierce orchestration of colors and petals and thorns. I can see why people have such a fascination for roses - unlike other flowers, the whole summer is "their season" to show off. They don't care to be a "spring flower" or one that waits until fall or other narrow time period. Each day, another few shout to the world that they have arrived. And because we watch over them, water them, and chase away the aphids that like to dine on them, we can't but notice them. And suddenly all those roses at the florist are so bland and unremarkable, in part because ours are fairly exotic types but I think it is also due to our attachment to "our babies."

It is akin to the words in the Little Prince:

"Just that," said the fox. "to me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world. . ."

"I am beginning to understand," said the little prince. "There is a flower. . .I think she has tamed me. . ."

"It is possible," said the fox. "On earth one sees all sorts of things."


1. Looking right 2. Looking up
Abe Pachikara, Copyright 2008 (click for larger image)


Standing out - -
Abe Pachikara, Copyright 2008 (click for larger image)

No comments: